To install RHEL 7 on VMware, you need to perform the following steps:
1. Open the VMware Workstation or Player console and click Create a New Virtual Machine. Select the installation source such as Installer disc image file (iso): radio button. Browse and select the RHEL 7 ISO image file.
2. Click Next to proceed. On the Select a Guest Operating System page, select Linuxas the guest operating system and RHEL 7 as the version. If RHEL 7 is not available in the version drop-down list, select the RHEL 6 (64-bit) and then click Next to proceed.
3. On the Name and Virtual Machine page, specify the name and location for the virtual machine and then click Next to proceed.
4. In the Specify Disk Capacity page, set the desired disk size (20 GB would be enough for the testing purpose). Select the Store virtual disk as a single file option and click Next to proceed.
5. On the Ready to Create Virtual Machine page, click Finish. Power on the created virtual machine. On the boot options, select Install Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.0and press Enter.
6. When you are asked, press again Enter to begin the installation process. On the Welcome page, select the language and click Continue.
7. On the Installation Summary page, click SOFTWARE SELECTION and select Server with GUI option. The default package selection does not contain the GUI packages. Hence, if you do not select GUI packages manually, you will not be able to switch into the graphical user interface.
8. Click INSTALLATION DESTINATION. On the Device Selection screen, accept the Automatically configure partitioning option and click Done. If you are already familiar with disk partitioning in Linux, create partitions with your custom settings, else better to accept the default selection.
9. The summary screen returns, click Begin Installation. On the configuration screen, set the desired root password. You may also create additional users during the installation process if you wish.
10. The installation process starts. It may take 15-20 minutes. Wait until the installation process completes.
11. Reboot the virtual machine. Accept the license terms and finish the installation. You may also be asked to set the Kdump memory and subscription management. Once the system is rebooted, follow the on-screen instruction to set the basic settings such as keyboard language and time zone.
12. On the Login screen, login with root user and use your first RHEL 7 server.
That’s all you need to do to install RHEL 7 on VMware Workstation/Player. Hope, it helped you. Stay connected for the upcoming articles.